Bearing MUCH Fruit – Saying NO…and Saying YES
Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:4-5 (NRSV)
What about MUCH FRUIT?
We can all imagine an apple tree absolutely loaded with its beautiful, sweet-smelling ripened fruit, ready to be enjoyed.
I’d like my life to be like that.
I’d like to look back someday and know that I bore MUCH FRUIT! I want to do MIGHTY things, like we read of in the Bible, and lead MANY to Christ.
Do you have secret ambitions like these?
Even if we have been shut down or hurt by the ignorance or cruelty of others…don’t we still secretly long to make a BIG difference in our little world?
I know I do.
But drastic results take drastic measures.
- Am I willing to say NO to staying up late so that I have the energy to spend time with Jesus the next morning before my day begins?
- Am I willing to say NO to emails and social media so that I don’t feel as “busy” on any given day and can “find” the time to pray for my family?
- Will I say NO to food for a day (if medically safe) in order to fast and pray for my friend who is on her way to hell unless the Holy Spirit intervenes?
- Am I willing to say YES to encouraging my husband when I don’t feel like it?
- Will I say YES to staying up late to pray for my teenagers as they spread their wings?
- Will I say YES to sharing my testimony with that neighbor who is hurting?
What is one hard thing you can say NO to today in exchange for more time with Jesus and studying His Word? Or what is one thing you’ve been avoiding that the Spirit has been nudging you to say YES to that will challenge you?
Let’s make those seemingly small choices today that will make a huge difference in our growth 10 years down the road.
I’d like to bear the MUCH FRUIT…wouldn’t you?
Let’s plug into Jesus and ask what our next steps are.